Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 is Journey, Practice, Thrive

One of the reasons that I've started blogging again - and intend to keep at it through the year - is that I've realized I need the structure and discipline of writing in order to get my life back on track.  I need the accountability of putting goals out into the universe in order to achieve them.

I didn't choose a theme for 2013 or any of the months in the year, didn't set any goals, didn't announce any big plans...and predictably, I ended up with nothing at the end of the year.

So this year, I am back on the blogging wagon and I am going to use blogging as a way to reach my goals.

With that in mind, I hereby announce three words for 2014:

Journey.  Practice.  Thrive.

Journey is to remind me that it takes time to get wherever you are going.  I am someone who not only doesn't enjoy the journey, I think there shouldn't have to be a journey in the first place.  I want to have a clean and orderly house without picking up a mop or broom or sponge; I want to have a fit and strong body without doing a single sit-up or putting down a single spoonful of ice cream; I want to have a full bank account without waking up and going to work for even one day.  In 2014, I am going to focus on the journey toward my goals and remind myself that journeys are necessary and can even be enjoyable.

Practice is a similar word for me this year...if I am going to reach my goals, I'm going to have to put some good habits in place to get there.  Practice, practice, practice makes perfect.  But I also need to remember that part of practicing is failing and trying again.  I've gotten too used to giving up easily lately, or not even trying because I don't want to fail, and this year I intend to keep practicing no matter what.

Finally, 2014 is the year I am going to thrive.  For too long I've been simply trying to survive, and now it's time to finally focus on thriving. 

Journey.  Practice.  Thrive.

What are your word(s) for 2014?


9 Comments:

Waiting for Zufan! said...

I'm happy you are blogging! I agree, 2014 is time to thrive. Looking forward to following your journey Liz.

kareydk said...

My three words? House cleaning fairies. Think that will work? I have missed your posts.

Anonymous said...

What great goals and reflection. It really does help to set goals whether they are in writing, in the mind, or told to a friend, or whatever. Hope you will thrive in your practice and on your journey this year!

chel said...

I admire your courage to put your goals out there. Best of luck on your journey!

Kim said...

Have you visited the Unfuck (sorry!) your Habitat tumblr? It's helped me be less of a slob when it comes to keeping my apartment great. Summary: 20 minutes of honest housework on ONE project, and then a 10 minute break. With lots of inspirational pictures and a bit of tough love.

Happy New Year. Glad to see you back!

Kelly said...

I'm glad to see you back in my reader! These sound like great goals. One of my words/phrases for 2014 is "catching up". I feel like I'm behind on so many fronts and at the moment I feel motivated to catch up already.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Sorry we didn't get to meet when I was in Boston. My words are Declare, Create and Purpose.
Glad you're back! Enjoy!

Sen

Lisa researching adoption said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful journey with us.

Debbie Hines said...

I would say yes, keep writing because the ideal is to captivate your readers just like you captivated me. I enjoyed reading your post.