Monday, December 30, 2013

Bah and Humbug

In a year that has been mostly miserable (more to come on that in a later post), I guess it's fitting that Christmas this year was just about the most miserable I ever remember a holiday being.

How miserable was my Christmas?

So miserable that I'm blogging about it.

The highlight of our trip to NY for the holiday was a stomach bug that swept through my parents' house all week, hitting a different person every day.  It arrived with my niece from the West Coast the weekend before Christmas, then hit my father and my sister, who then passed it on to my mother, who was sick with it all day Christmas Eve (right after she had recovered from the flu which she had caught while in the hospital the week before to remove a melanoma from her leg).

The bug got to me on Christmas Day...I made it through unwrapping the presents in the morning, but before breakfast hit the table I was already puking in the bathroom.  I spent the rest of the day either asleep or puking, until I finally felt the tiniest bit better around 5PM and ventured downstairs to see if I might be able to keep a glass of water down.

The water stayed down, but not long after I finished it my father started yelling - poor Tinker-the-dog had an accident on the rug and apparently my status as the latest plague victim wasn't going to get me out of cleaning up after her.

(I found out from my brother the next day that my father had given Tinker a bowl full of turkey leftovers - skin, fat, bits of gristle - which he does every year, and in all fairness I had not had a chance to warn him that Tinker's senior citizen stomach probably wouldn't be able to handle it this year, but which makes all the yelling he did about "the damn dog crapping on my rug" just a tad harder to swallow.)

My Christmas dinner?  In fact, the only thing I ate that day?  A bowl of cereal before I went back to bed.

We were there for another few days, spent mostly in the house as another few people came down with the stomach bug in their turn.  The worst of the bug seemed to last just one day for most of us, though everyone still felt a little queasy for a while afterwards, which is why no one much felt like doing anything outside of the house for most of the week.

Oh, and did I mention that the downstairs bathroom in my parents' house was out of commission with a toilet that kept clogging for most of the week?  Which meant that aside from the private bathroom in my parents' bedroom, there was one bathroom in the house for everyone to use whether they were sick or well.  At one point we had eleven adults and eight kids in the house, in various stages of contagion...you can imagine just how miserable that was.

My father and my brother-in-law tried to fix the broken toilet on Friday, and all seemed well until Saturday afternoon when we discovered that the source of the toilet problem was the septic tank, which started backing up into the basement.  My father and my brother spent two hours trying to fix it themselves until my father finally admitted defeat; when Elfe and I left to return to Boston, my father was on the phone calling in a professional to deal with it.

There was plenty of minor misery mixed into the week as well, your run-of-the-mill spending extended periods of time with extended family in tight quarters type of misery, plus a little travel drama thrown in for good measure...and while it was good to come home and sleep in my own bed Saturday night, some of the misery seems to have followed us home and settled in for the dregs of 2013.




8 Comments:

scooping it up said...

that sounds freaking awful. i hated reading this. :(

Shannon said...

^^ Agree with S. That is misery!

Kelly said...

Oh, yeah, that is miserable! So sorry. We actually had the exact same thing happen with everyone getting some sort of stomach thing at some point throughout the week. It was awful, so I totally feel your pain! Hope everyone is on the mend at this point.

kareydk said...

And now for the next two weeks, people will be asking you, "Did you have a good Christmas?"

barb_aloot said...

Ugh. That's horrible stuff. I hope it means 2014 will be excellent because you got two years' worth of yuck in '13.

K said...

Blech. At least the year is over and you can start fresh in 2014. Things can only look up from here.

2plus2mom said...

So sorry. That sounds truly miserable. Here's hoping 2014 will be a better year (with a better Christmas at the end).

Julie said...

AWFUL! Next year WILL be better! xo