Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Let Us Begin Again with Thankfulness

So I've attempted to get back into blogging...but it's been an erratic start so far.

If I'm going to really get this blog going again...or, more accurately, get my life going again...I think I need to go back to basics.  And here on the blog - and in life - back to basics means getting back to a regular thankfulness routine.

Here goes...

A couple of weeks ago, I had to attend a seminar at a Career Center as a condition of continuing to receive unemployment benefits.  As I got little snippets of information about other people in the room, I became really aware that most of them had a lot less going for them in terms of education, experience, resources, etc., than I did.  Women who spoke no English (yet still had to sit through the hour-long presentation, without translation services, in order to meet the requirement), a couple of guys in their early twenties who asked about how they could get a GED.  Being unemployed is hard, and for a lot of reasons it is particularly hard right now, but I know it could be a lot worse.  This week, I am thankful that I have a lot more than most when it comes to getting through this difficult period in my life.

On a somewhat related note, if I have to be unemployed, this seems like a pretty darn good time for it.  I cannot remember the last time Elfe went to school for a full five-day week, what with her being sick more often than usual this winter and school being cancelled for snow and random school holidays that were not holidays for me when I was working.  This week, I am thankful that I haven't had to worry about juggling child care and working during this very unusual winter season.

Finally, I am really thankful for friends and family and community...not really anything specific with this one, just some general thankfulness for the people in my life.

What are you thankful for this week?


4 Comments:

-J.Darling said...

This week - Thankful for the ability to work out, and the slow results I'm seeing. I'm also thankful for every second I get with My Sailor, even if he's dead tired for most of it. I'm Thankful for every last second I get with my dad, and I'm thankful that he's not in any pain. I'm thankful for awesome people who keep supporting me and keep my head above water when I feel like I'm drowning.

Oh yeah - and I'm thankful for Blogging.

Christine said...

Happy to see you blogging. I am thankful that you and I have the ability to be there for our kids when they are sick during this beautiful, (yet aggressive) winter. I say that as I look out the window and see lazy snowflakes coming down. I know that spring is here despite the layer of fresh snow and I am thankful for that, too.

Barb Aloot said...

I'm thankful to have survived my bout of unemployment and found a way out that did not involve moving, and I'm thankful for the timing that meant I was home with my son when he needed it most.

scooping it up said...

Thankful for your wise examples and awesome attitude. So glad we have you and Elfe in our lives!