Thursday, March 15, 2012

Drive to Read

Yes, I'm still here, I'm just...busy...distracted...struggling to put certain things into words...wondering where I want to go with this blog, my life, my career, my future...I have thought about putting up an official "this blog is on a break" post several times over the last few weeks but I just can't bring myself to pull the plug even temporarily...

So, here's a short post about something worthwhile to keep you interested until I can figure some things out.

Last Saturday, Elfe and I attended a fundraiser for Ethiopia Reads.  If you don't know Ethiopia Reads, their mission is to create a reading culture in Ethiopia by connecting children with books; they build and stock libraries, create culturally appropriate reading materials, and train librarians and teachers to nurture a love of books.  They are a fantastic organization - go check them out and then come back here!

The Ethiopia Reads staff in Addis Ababa do not have a car, which really puts a damper on their efforts to get books to the various libraries they support.  So, some adoptive parents here in the Boston area decided to throw a party to raise money and buy them a car.

Scooping it Up has some great pictures of the event.

Oh, did I mention that Jane Kurtz was there signing books?  She was, though she really needs to come back to Boston because I never got the chance to go over and talk to her.  She wrote this lovely post that mentions her time here, and I'd like to think that I'm one of the "grown-ups who are exploring art or fundraising or entrepreneurial ideas for the first time" that she mentions when she describes the event - because the reason I couldn't get over to her book-signing table is that I spent most of the afternoon at my own table selling Barefoot Books to benefit Ethiopia Reads.  I will donate 20% of the sales I made at the Drive to Read event to Ethiopia Reads to support the effort to buy a car for their staff.

Couldn't make it to the event but still want to support the Drive to Read cause?  I'm not making the donation until Saturday, so if you go to my Barefoot Books on-line marketplace and scroll down the Events section, then click on the Ethiopia Reads link and buy some books, I will still donate 20% of those sales to Ethiopia Reads.  I plan to make the donation on Saturday morning, so anything you buy up until midnight on Friday will count.  You can still make a purchase to support Ethiopia Reads after that, but it will go to the organization in general and not specifically for the car.

Right now my donation amount is at $70, I will report back next week if it goes higher thanks to your support!

  


8 Comments:

scooping it up said...

We love Barefoot books and hope you get lots more sales!

S said...

Liz I will miss your blog if you pull the plug, but I totally get it if you must. Can you recommend books for a kidnergartner--you can send me a message on fbook and then I will order some before Sat. promise

Shannon- said...

just popping in to say 'miss you'. hope to see you soon this spring!

Melissa said...

I've been wondering where you've been!

Amy said...

I love BB myself, and wish I had held out for the ET Reads drive! I can't wait to put their books in their Easter baskets and to show how awesome BB to my sister in law, whose son will be a recipient too at Easter! Every child needs the "Bear" series!!!

Kimberly said...

Go ahead and put the blog on hiatus -- it seems like you have enough stuff to worry about without feeling guilty about not blogging! You're in my RSS reader. I'll know when you come back. :)

Anonymous said...

Liz-
I'm glad you're okay! I will miss your blog If you take it down for a while but I would understand. You have been blogging non-stop for a long time. Take some time off to regroup; it may be just what you need. Wishing you all the best and a peace of mind.

Blessings,
Sen

Nikki said...

That's so fantastic... Ethiopia Reads is doing such great work.

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com - get your blog designed and support global education