Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Abundance

Gas is almost $4/gallon, food prices keep going up and up, home values are dropping and foreclosures are on the rise, and we're starting to hear people use the dreaded "R" word.

And children are dying of hunger in Ethiopia.

On the Ethiopian adoption Yahoo groups, there have been an abundance of referrals recently. But lurking in the background behind every family overjoyed at their new addition, is an abundance of loss and grief. It's easier not to think about it, but at some point we have to remember why these children are available for adoption in the first place.

People are dying of hunger in Ethiopia.

When I was trying to decide on a country to adopt from, one of the things that drew me to Ethiopia was a series of pictures on my agency's website. Green fields, people riding in carts drawn by donkeys, cattle. They reminded me of my memories and pictures from our family trips to Ireland. Ethiopians are people who work the land and depend on livestock, and there is something deep inside me that can relate to that way of life.

My people survived their Famine. At some point soon, I may be bringing home a child who lost one or both parents to famine. Something about that feels right to me.

But children are dying of hunger in Ethiopia. Now. At this very moment.

I just made a donation to this organization. From what I have been reading, they are on the ground in Ethiopia dealing with the famine now, and are best positioned to put donations to work without delay. And they are based in Ireland. Something about that feels right to me.

Gas is almost $4/gallon, food prices keep going up and up, home values are dropping and foreclosures are on the rise, and we're starting to hear people use the dreaded "R" word.

And children are dying of hunger in Ethiopia. Dying in abundance.

5 Comments:

regina said...

why are you not writing for a living liz? this is beautiful.

habeshachild said...

thank you for this.

it's amazing, but most people have no idea this is happening.

Liz said...

Habeshachild - I'm not sure I would have known about this if not for my involvement with adoption, it's so easy for us in the US to ignore what's going on in the rest of the world...I wanted to do my part to get the word out.

reg - I've been asking myself the same question lately and trying to figure out a way to make it happen.

Kristin said...

Nice job Liz, you did a better job then me putting it on the blog so eloquently!
Looking forward to reading your blog more often now that I know about it!
Kristin

Liz said...

But you definitely gave me the inspiration!
--Liz